HOW I USE MY EMPTY ESSENTIAL OIL BOTTLES



If you are an oil addict like me you will have a lot of empty little bottles around. I try to find as many ways as I can to re-use them. Here are some of the ways that I have found.

Pre-made Favourite Diffuser Blends.

The main thing I use my empty bottles for is making up diffuser blends. We have four diffusers in our house and I was forever walking from room to room to find a bottle of oil that I wanted. Now I makeup blends in the empty bottles and leave them with each diffuser. This works perfectly for me because I like to keep all of my original bottles of oil in my oil box so that I know where they are. I don't like having to look for each one when I need it.

  • Beside the bedroom diffusers, I have a bottle of Lavender Peace, Balance, Frankincense and Easy Air (our sleep blend) mixed together. The approximate amounts would be 1/4 of a 15 ml bottle each or roughly 60 drops each of Lavender Peace and Balance to 10 drops of Frankincense and 10 drops of Easy Air. 
  • Beside the living room diffuser, I have a little tray with a few different pre-made favourites. I have one bottle with equal parts Wild Orange and Peppermint which is my blend I like to diffuse while I'm doing housework. It keeps me motivated and energised. One with Elevation and Patchouli because I love these two together. I like to blend these two at a ratio of approximately 5 to 3. So to fill a 15ml bottle I would use roughly 150 drops of Elevation to 90 drops of Patchouli. I also have a blend of Motivate and White Fir. I use approximately 3/5ths of the bottle with Motivate and 2/5ths with White Fir. I have made other diffuser bottle blends but these are my regular ones. You could make many different types of pre-made diffuser blends.

Spray Mist Bottles 

I love these. I have quite a few little spray bottles around my house now. I bought the packs of mist sprays from au.aromatools.com

  • I have a hand sanitiser in my handbag and one on my desk. For the last one I made, I used a lemon bottle that had a few drops left in it. I added 10 drops of On Guard and topped it up with filtered water.
  • I have a linen/sleep spray on my bedside table that I spray our pillows with. I used a lavender bottle that had a few drops left in it and topped it up with filtered water. You can also add a few drops of witch hazel or vodka.  It disperses the oil and also helps the scent linger longer in the air.
  • I  keep a spray mist bottle of hair perfume in my bathroom and lightly mist my hair each morning.   It's good for my hair, helps calm fly-away hair and it smells amazing. I use 3 drops of Ylang Ylang, 10 drops of Rosemary and a few drops of Lemon that were left in the bottle (maybe 5). Top it up with a few drops of Jojoba Oil and the rest with filtered water. It smells beautiful and fresh.
  • I used an On Guard bottle that had maybe 10 drops left in it. I topped it up with filtered water and put a mist spray top on the bottle. I use this in the kitchen on my cutting boards. 
  • Another one that I use a lot is a spray bottle of Purify. When my Purify Oil bottle had approximately 1/5th left in it, I topped it up with filtered water. I use this to spray on my cloth dog's beds before I throw them in the washing machine to keep them smelling fresh. I give them a very light spray and only use it on their beds just before I wash them with hot water because some oils are not good for dogs. I like to be on the safe side and not have to worry about harming them. I also spray it over my microfibre lounge chairs and this prevents them getting a stale smell. Especially in summer.
  • There are so many uses for these little spray mist tops and the fact that they fit onto my essential oil bottles is a real bonus. I have thought about adding my facial toner to a little bottle and applying it this way rather than using a cotton pad. I haven't tried it yet though.

Roller Tops


I bought roller tops that fit straight onto my doTERRA 15ml and 5ml bottles. I use these instead of having to buy new roller bottles all the time. I boil my empty bottles for a few minutes and the labels come off nicely. If not I soak them in warm water with a bit of natural dishwashing liquid and then rinse them well.

Glass Dropper Tops


I use a lot of Lemon Essential Oil.  I keep a bottle in my kitchen with half Lemon Oil and half Grapefruit Oil. I put a dropper top on this bottle so that I can easily drop one or two drops into my drinking water each morning. (These tops are great to put on your thicker oils that are too thick to drop out of the orifice reducer like Vetiver Oil).




Other Empty Bottle Uses

  • I saw a picture recently of empty essential oil bottles being used as toothpick holders and gave it a try. I love it and so does my hubby. So far I have used an empty Peppermint Oil bottle and an empty Lemon Oil bottle. This is an awesome idea as the toothpicks soak up the last bits of oil in the bottle and add flavour to the toothpicks, so you are getting the benefits of the oils each time you use a toothpick. With the Peppermint Oil toothpicks, you have the added bonus of freshening your breath.
  • I keep a 1/2 lavender, 1/4 Clary Sage and 1/4 Roman Chamomile mix in a bottle in the bathroom and use it to drop 4 or 5 drops into my bath at night.
  • I have a big glass bottle of Epsom Salts in the bathroom and as any bottles of essential oils, like the ones listed above in my bath blend that are calming and relaxing oils become empty, I poke the empty bottle into the salt so that it draws every last drop of oil out. Over time my Epsom Salts have gained a beautiful smell from all the bottles I have poked into it. We use a cup of this salt in our bath three times a week. It's beautiful and relaxing.

  • To keep my fridges smelling fresh I take an almost empty citrus oil bottle (I love lemon) and fill it will bicarb soda, put the lid on and shake it up. Then I take the lid off and pop the little orifice reducer back on so that it won't spill if knocked over and place it in the fridge. No more smells in the fridge.

I am always looking for other uses for these little amber bottles. If you have different ideas please let me know as I still have unused empties. 

Thanks for reading
Karen xo




If you would like to join our friendly and supportive team you can email me or contact me on the following links.








This page is not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat or cure disease. If you have any health concerns, please discuss these with your trusted healthcare provider.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural Cat Scratch Deterrent

WHERE TO GET YOUR doTERRA RESOURCES

doTERRA Essential Collection Kit with Smart & Sassy

Home Essentials Kit - One of Our Most Popular Kits.